Fonds Fonds 2043 - Department of Physics fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Department of Physics fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

Fonds 2043

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1900-1974, predominant 1932-1974 (Production)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

4.38 m of textual records. - 1 film reel. - 4 magnetic tapes

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

Histoire administrative

The first class in physics was offered during the 1910-1911 session. The department was charged with the task of developing classes designed to meet the physical science needs of all University colleges. The purchase of seismic instruments, the establishment of a campus weather station, and the planning and construction of the Physics Building were achieved during the department's first decade. Faculty interests in the 1920s and 1930s served as the foundation for much of the department's future research. Expertise in meteorology, climatology, and the physics of the aurora led to the creation of the Institute of Upper Atmospheric Physics (1956), the Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies (1965), and the Space Engineering Division (SED Ltd) in 1965. Interest in nuclear physics led to the purchase of the Betatron (1948), the first non-commercial cobalt-60 unit for cancer treatment (1952), and the linear accelerator (1964). The following have served as head of the department: J.L. Hogg (1911-1919); A.G. McGougan (1919-1924); E.L. Harrington (1924-1952); B.W. Currie (1952-1961); R.N.H. Haslam (1961-1964); L. Katz (1956-1976); R. Montalbetti (9176-1991); E.J. Llewellyn (1991-1993); H.S. Caplan (1993- ).

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

This fonds contains reports, correspondence, minutes, blue prints, and a visitor's book regarding the planning for and opening of the Betatron Project. Also included are a CBC film and a four magnetic tapes regarding the opening of the Linear Accelerator. Another subgroup includes meteorological records kept by the department between 1900 and 1968. A third subgroup includes the log books of Dr. Balfour Currie regarding his research of auroras during the Second International Polar Year (1932-1933).

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Personal material relating to faculty, staff and students is restricted.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

Further accruals expected.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Lieux

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Zone des entrées

Sujets associés

Lieux associés

Genres associés