Title and statement of responsibility area
Department of Music fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
2.05 m of textual records and sound recordings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1931 the Carnegie Corporation awarded the University a three year grant to establish a school of music. In 1936 it became a College but remained a one person operation and was reduced to an Arts and Sciences elective in 1947. The Department of Music was formed in 1952 and expanded steadily adding classes in music education, literature, history and theory. With the amalgamation of the Teacher's College with the College of Education all music studies on campus were conducted by the Department of Music. The department has been involved in the community by sponsoring recitals and acting as consultants and directors for provincial and community ventures. The following have served as head of the department: A. Collingwood (1931-1947); J.M. Macrea (1947-1951); M. Adaskin (1952-1966); D. Kaplan (1966-1982); D. Nelson (1982-1984); R. Wedgewood (1984-1990); C.L. House (1990- ).
Scope and content
This fonds contains files regarding curriculum and courses, equipment and resources, annual reports and other administrative duties. Also included is material relating to concerts, recitals, guest artists and lecturers, and workshops sponsored by the department. A separate accession contains correspondence, memoranda, and specifications pertaining to the department's move to the Education Building (1974-1976).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Personal material relating to faculty, staff and students is restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available: file title list only.
Further accruals expected.