Fonds Fonds 2039 - Department of Geology fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Geology fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Fonds 2039

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1920-1960, predominant 1946-1955 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 m of textual records, graphic materials, and cartographic materials

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Department of Geology was established in 1927, three years before the province gained responsibility over its mineral resources. In 1935, through the College of Engineering, an undergraduate program in geological engineering was begun. This was supplementary to the course in Arts and soon became the more popular of the two. The department moved closer to Engineering with the responsibility for its budget moving to the Dean of Engineering. The post-1950 era marked a period of expansion and diversification with a concentration on programs designed to support the mining and petroleum industries. In 1967 the department once again came under the administration of the College of Arts and Science. The following have served as head of the department: J.B. Mawdsley (1927-1960); F.H. Edmunds (1960-1965); A.R. Byers (1965-1972); W.G.E. Caldwell (1972-1988); H.E. Hendry (1988- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains the papers of two department heads, J.B. Mawdsley and A.R. Byers. It includes maps, charts, field notes, memoranda, reports, and photographs relating to various geological studies.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to files containing personal information about faculty, staff or students in restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area