Fonds RG 2038 - Department of French and Spanish fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of French and Spanish fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RG 2038

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1956-1995, predominant 1970-1985 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

92 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The University's first professor of French was hired during its second year of operation in 1910. For the next five decades the department remained relatively small and concentrated on first and second year classes which filled the second language requirement for a B.A. degree. The department opened on of the first language labs in Canada in 1959. With the introduction of Spanish Studies in 1964, the name was changed to the Department of French and Spanish. In 1968 the second language requirement was dropped from the B.A. degree and class enrolment was halved. The department overhauled its policies and programs by shifting emphasis to oral work at all levels. In 1989, Spanish came under the administration of the newly created Department of Modern Languages and French became an independent department. In 1998 the Department of Modern Languages was amalgamated with the Department of French and the College of Arts and Science's program in linguistics to form the Department of Languages and Linguistics.

?The following served as the head of the Department of French (1910-1964): J.A. MacDonald (1910-1939); M. Cameron (1939-1960); B. Bujila (1960-1964). The following served as head of Department of French and Spanish (1964-1989): B. Bujila (1964- 1965); R.S. Ridgway (1965-1976); M. Black (1976-1983); D.J. Bond (1983-1985); C.T. Wittlin (1985-1989). The following served as the head of the Department of French (1989-1998): C.T. Wittlin (1989-1991); J. Julien (1991-1998).

Name of creator

Name of creator

Custodial history

Scope and content

The fonds includes records relating to teaching, research and administration in the Department of French (to 1964), Department of French and Spanish (1964-1989), and Department of French (from 1989). In addition to records relating to a variety of committees, activities, etc., the fonds predominantly documents the summer language program at Trois Rivi?res and the department's Language Laboratory.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script note

Some records in French

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal information relating to students, staff and faculty has been restricted in compliance with the Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid available: File titles with some descriptions

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area