Fonds Fonds 2045 - Department of Chemistry fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Department of Chemistry fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Fonds 2045

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1913-1996 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

27.7 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Department of Chemistry was created in 1910 and offered classes in General Chemistry, Analysis, Organic and Physical Chemistry. To meet the demands of the various colleges and schools it served, the department expanded its offerings to include Cereal Chemistry, Industrial and Applied Chemistry. In 1922 Chemical Engineering was added to the department's responsibilities until 1982 when it became a separate Engineering department. The areas of research have been varied, ranging from applied research projects related to the natural resources of the province to pure science problems. From an early point in the department's development it provided analytical services to both the public and private sectors but with a reduction in demand this was discontinued in 1990. The following have served as head of the department: R.D. MacLaurin (1910-1919); T. Thorvaldson (1919-1948); J.W.T. Spinks (1948-1959); K.J. MacCallum (1959-1970); J.M. Pepper (1970-1976); A.R. Knight (1976-1981); D.R. Grant (1981-1984); J.R. Woods (1984-1989); W.L. Waltz (1989-1994).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains the records of the Department of Chemistry from 1913-1996

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Personal material relating to faculty, staff and students is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid available: file title list only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related places

Related genres