Title and statement of responsibility area
Department of Biology fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1942-1990, predominant 1967-1990 (Creation)
Physical description area
2.4 m of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Department of Biology was established in 1913. The first professor was W.P. Thompson who would eventually become Dean of Arts and Science and President of the University. Unlike many other Canadian universities the Department of Biology at Saskatchewan remained as a single unit and strove to maintain within itself a balance among the diverse sub-disciplines rather than separating into several distinct departments. Recent research has involved environmental studies including studies of the potential effect of acid rain, mining, logging, and agriculture. The department cooperates with the College of Agriculture to provide a program of Agricultural Biology and offers Paleobiology in conjunction with the Departments of Geological Sciences and Anthropology and Archaeology. The following have served as head of the department: W.P. Thompson (1913-1949); D.S. Rawson (1949-1961); M. Shaw (1961-1968); J.M. Naylor (1968-1973); U.T. Hammer (1973-1976); T.A. Steeves (1976-1982); J. King (1982-1987); R.J.F. Smith (1987-1994); L.C. Fowke (1994- ).
Scope and content
This fonds contains correspondence, annual reports (1942-1986), budget records, committee minutes, and course outlines (1972-1990) relating to all aspects of the administration and activities of the department. Included are a blueprint and files relating to the construction and opening of the W.P. Thompson Biology Building.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Personal records of faculty, staff, and students are restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding aid available: file title list only.
Further accruals expected.