Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
On March 25, 1914 the resident ratepayers in the Avonlea, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. A meeting to vote on the proposed district and elect trustees was held on March 4, 1915. Nine resident ratepayers voted in favour of the district; none were opposed. A revised petition was filed on April 19, 1916 and the proposed boundaries were approved shortly thereafter.
Croft School District No. 3751 was established on May 18, 1916. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.
The name of the school district is believed to be taken from the English word meaning a small enclosed field typically attached to a house or a field among the dunes. On October 11, 1916, the Local Government Board approved a debenture for $1800 to build a school. The one room school, located on NW 8-10-24-W2, opened on July 9, 1917 with Violet Powell as the first teacher.
The boundaries of the school district were altered on August 14, 1941. On June 15, 1945, Croft School District joined the Assiniboia School Unit No. 5. The school closed on June 30, 1958 and the students were conveyed to Kayville and Spring Valley. Alexandra Petruie was the last teacher.