Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In June, 1903, ratepayers in the village of Craik and the surrounding area petitioned the Department of Education of the North-West Territories to establish a school district. Departmental approval was granted and a meeting to vote on the formation of the district and elect trustees was held in Craik on August 14, 1903.
Craik School District No. 891 was established on September 14, 1903. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a schoolhouse; furnishing and maintaining the school, grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.
Approximately seven children were taught in a private residence until the first schoolhouse was built in Craik in 1904. In 1905, the school district came under the direction of the Department of Education of the new province of Saskatchewan. In 1908, Craik School District became a town school district (its boundaries remained unchanged) and a larger school building was erected. After the building burnt down in 1920, a new eight room school was built and all elementary and high school grades were taught there. In 1960 a separate high school facility was built. On April 1, 1957 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when Craik School District became part of the Davidson School Unit No. 31.