Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
On January 8, 1890, resident ratepayers in the Pense, North-West Territories district met to discuss the formation of a school district. Cottonwood School District No. 171 was erected on February 7, 1890. The first school was built in 1893. The boundaries of the school district were altered several times and the location of the school was moved several times to better serve the needs of the community. The original school building was replaced with a new building in 1916. The school was located on NW 15-18-22-W2 for the majority of its existence.
The school district was administered by three elected trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The school officials were responsible for selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.
The school closed in 1937 due to lack of pupils, but re-opened in 1943. In November 1963, the Regina School Unit No. 21 was established and Cottonwood School District No. 171 became part of the larger unit. On January 1, 1964, the school unit assumed all of Cottonwood's assets and liabilities and the responsibilities and duties of the school district officials were significantly altered.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by the secretary-treasurer of the Cottonwood School District No. 171 relating to the administration of a rural school in the Pense, Saskatchewan district. The fonds consists of cash books (1894-1957) and a minute book (1920-1945).
No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.