Fonds RG 2085 - College of Graduate Studies and Research fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

College of Graduate Studies and Research fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

RG 2085

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1959-2006 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

Textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1946-)

Administrative history

The University awarded its first post-graduate degree--a Master of Arts--to Father A.G. Morrice, o.m.i. for previous work in Canadian history. Archibald Weir received the first MA for work completed at the U of S. Over time, other Master's degrees were awarded in Science in Agriculture (1920), Science in Engineering (1927), and Education (1932). In 1922 a Committee on Master's degrees was established to coordinate post-graduate work on the campus. This Committee became the Council Committee on Graduate Studies in 1926; a Graduate School was formed under the aegis of the Graduate School Committee by 1932. The School became the College of Graduate Studies in 1946 and two years later was authorized to grant PhDs in select departments. The establishment of a graduate programme at Regina resulted in the formation of a Graduate Studies Faculty (or School) there, a College of Graduate Studies at Saskatoon, and a University College of Graduate Studies to coordinate post-graduate work on both campuses. The latter unit closed in 1974 with the division into two separate universities. The following individuals have served as Dean: [G.H. Ling] (1922-1928); G.H. Ling (1928-1938); J.S. Thomson (1938-1939); T. Thorvaldson (1939-1949); J.W.T. Spinks (1949-1959); B.W. Currie (1959-1970); K.J. McCallum (1970-1984); H.E. Tennant (1984-1987); J.G. Manns (1987-1991); Louise Forsyth (1992- ). Director: A.B. Van Cleave (1959-1974).

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds contains material relating primarily to research work at the University.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to files containing personal information about faculty, staff or students is restricted.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid available: file titles with descriptions.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area