Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Canadian Co-operative Implements Ltd. was incorporated in September 1940 for the purpose of providing a viable alternative source of farm equipment to meet the needs of western Canadian farmers. The operating objectives of the Co-operative were to design and manufacture innovative farm machinery to meet the needs of western farmers, to research and develop new concepts in farm equipment that would reduce farm production costs and enhance agricultural profits, and to maintain a western Canadian retail marketing system consisting of Co-op Implements depots and independent dealers.
By 1941, there were 12,000 members. Near the end of the war, a factory was purchased in Winnipeg with assistance from the three prairie governments. In 1948, Co-op Implements was re-organized to include in its function the actual manufacturing of farm implements and a retail distribution organization with direct member involvement with depot locations throughout Saskatchewan, Manitoba, and Alberta.
The following is a summary of the significant events from the time the Company was established. In 1940 Co-op Implements was founded, initially with the intent to manufacture farm implements. In 1952 Co-op Implements began to establish its retail network of company owned and leased stores. In 1975 Co-op Implement's retail network reached a total of 68 stores. In 1985 Co-op Implements products lines, manufacturing rights, tooling, etc. were sold to Greenland N.V., the parent company of Vicon Inc. In 1987 Vicon Inc. entered into an investment and financing arrangement with Co-op Implements to provide the Company with financial backing.
The Cooperative ceased operation in the early 1990's, and was struck off the register on April 7, 1997. Regina Depot was one of seventeen stores in Saskatchewan when the business was offered for sale in 1991.