Canada. Dept. of the Interior. School Lands Branch

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Canada. Dept. of the Interior. School Lands Branch

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • School Lands Branch

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1879-1930

History

The School Lands Branch was established in 1879 to administer lands that were reserved for education purposes under the Dominion Lands Act, 1872. The Act stated that sections 11 and 29 of every surveyed township were designated as school lands. Any revenue generated from the sale of these lands was to finance school construction and the purchase of school supplies.

The rapidly increasing population of the western Canadian territories and the need for federal assistance to help build educational facilities necessitated special legislation by the Canadian government. This law also resulted in the creation of a separate School Lands Branch within the Department of the Interior to administer the terms of the act. The Branch was responsible for arranging public auctions for the sale of school lands, inspecting property, and setting the price for land. The lands could not be sold until a fair market value could be attained; in the interim, the land was often leased for grazing, timber, and/or haying purposes. Monies collected for these purposes were added to the territorial/provincial education endowment.

The School Lands Branch was placed under the direction of Frank Checkley from 1879 to 1918. Initially, the Branch reported to the Minister of the Department of the Interior through the Commissioner of Dominion Lands. In 1909, the Branch reported directly to the Minister. In 1918, the status of the Branch was downgraded to a Division, and it was placed back under the authority of the Dominion Lands Branch, and was renamed the Dominion Lands Bureau. The unit was disbanded in 1930 when the management of natural resources and dedicated Crown Lands in the western provinces was transferred to the provinces. In Saskatchewan, this authority transferred to the Department of Natural Resources, Lands Branch which operated from 1930 to 1944.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Saskatchewan. Lands Branch (1931-)

Identifier of the related entity

GA 37

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

1879-1930

Description of relationship

Related entity

Canada. Dept. of the Interior (1873-1936)

Identifier of the related entity

GA 4

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

1879-1930

Description of relationship

Related entity

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Natural Resources (1930-1944)

Identifier of the related entity

GA 12

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

1879-1930

Description of relationship

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GA 167

Institution identifier

Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

AMICUS Authorities - no entry found.

National Archives of Canada, School Lands Branch administrative history, R190-0-3E.

The Records of the Department of the Interior and Research Concerning Canada's Western Frontier of Settlement by Irene M. Spry, University of Regina Press, 1993.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC