Fonds Fonds 128 - Campus Radio Station fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Campus Radio Station fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Fonds 128

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1959-1986 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

6.96 m of textual records, graphic material and sound recordings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

In 1959, a group calling themselves "University Radio Productions" approached the federal government for a broadcast license to operate a student-run FM station on a non-commercial basis. Licensing requirements demanded that licenses only be issued to the university itself; in 1960 students approached the Board of Governors for approval. Operation of the station, including a constitution, was formalized in 1965 between the University and the Student's Union (USSU), and CJUS-FM was launched. For 10 years prior to the establishment of a CBC-FM station in Saskatoon, CJUS carried CBC network programming; and many of the station's locally-produced programmes were carried nation-wide. Originally operating out of the Memorial Union Building (MUB), in 1980 the station moved to the Education Building. In October 1983, the station became a limited commercial station, and changed its call numbers to CHSK-FM. However, by late 1984 the Board of Governors decided not to continue their funding. Although the USSU briefly considered taking full responsibility for running the station, the last day of programming was 30 September 1985.

Custodial history

Scope and content

This fonds includes correspondence, program guides, subject files, program logs, and news clippings concerning the programming and operation of the University student radio station.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions on access.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Shelflist available: file title list only.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres