Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Buffalo Lake School District No. 119
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Buffalo Lake School District No. 119 is located south of Buffalo Pound Lake and east of Tuxford.
Some sources record lessons being taught in an unidentified private home as early as 1885. The first meeting of the Board of Trustees was held at the house of David Taylor on April 4, 1888 with the first trustees being Charles Goss, James Franks and James McCartney.
The first school, known as the Point Elma School during the late 1800's was constructed in 1888 on a road allowance in an unknown location. It was the first school to be built on the plain between Moose Jaw and Buffalo Pound Lake. The building was moved in 1897 to the north-west corner of NW 10-19-26 W2. The name of first teacher is unknown but Roxy Alexander was in charge of the school in 1891-1892.
In 1910, a new school was built on the site and the old building was used as a barn and stable. The new school was moved in 1925 to the north-west corner of NW 11-19-26 W2.
The school was closed in June 1945 due to lack of students but was re-opened in August 1955 and remained in operation until ca. 1964 or 1965.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material