Fonds F21 - Beechy Co-operative Farm Association Limited fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Beechy Co-operative Farm Association Limited fonds

General material designation

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

F21

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1948-1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

80 cm of textual records
2 maps
1 technical drawing

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

Administrative history

The Beechy Co-operative Farm Association Limited was a co-operative association established in Saskatchewan on June 22, 1949 under the provisions of The Co-operative Associations Act. Members of the association managed and operated a co-operative farm located twelve miles southwest of the Village of Beechy.

The farm was originally established by twelve Saskatchewan World War II veterans who received 500 acres of land each through assistance from the Veterans' Land Act. The Government of Saskatchewan granted a thirty-one year lease on the land to each individual rather than to the Association, on the condition that the individual remained a part of the co-operative farm. The twelve leased parcels of land originally belonged to the Matador Ranching Company but in a move to allow for the development of community pastures, smaller ranches and hay meadows, the ranch had given up its lease on 216 quarters. It was from these hay meadows that the Beechy Co-op Farm grew.

Crop failures and other financial difficulties at the outset forced many of the members to seek employment away from the farm. In 1952, five members withdrew to farm on their own. However, as more and more land was put under crop, the fortunes of the co-operative grew. By forming an efficient work pool, farming operations were accelerated and streamlined resulting in purchases of new machinery and tractors and the erection of permanent grain storage facilities. More land was added in the mid-1950s to allow the co-operative to raise cattle.

Residences for members and their families were constructed on a common farm site. Members of the co-op were paid a monthly wage. Decisions on farm management were made at regular bi-weekly meetings and had to be unanimous before they could be put into effect. Members shared or rotated administrative and operational responsibilities and each individual developed areas of expertise. In the 1960's the farm had become a viable enterprise with a livestock operation and over 6,000 acres under cultivation. By the early 1970's, however, several of the farmers were reaching retirement age and others were looking outside of the co-operative for employment opportunities. Members decided to sell the entire farm as a unit. Although this occurred in 1973 and the co-operative members moved away, the Association itself was not dissolved until April 15, 1991.

Custodial history

John A. Trew, former secretary of the Beechy Co-operative Farm Association Limited, donated these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in one accession in 1992: R92-241 (September 15, 1992).

Scope and content

This fonds consists of records created, accumulated, and used from 1948 to 1991 by executive members of the Beechy Co-operative Farm Association Limited.

The types of records included are correspondence, memoranda, financial statements, bylaws, agreements, minutes, maps, a technical drawing and publications, including a history of the Association.

No series assignment has been applied to the records in this fonds.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Alphabetical order of records imposed by archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Records are open for research use. Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act.

Finding aids

SAFA 57 (old guide GR 542) consists of a fonds description and file listings of textual records.

Associated materials

Related material: R-E 1230 and S-F335.1: Beechy Co-op Farm, 1949-1974 by Karen and Richard Briggs (1982). Photographs: R-A11192 (1)-(2), R-B11069, and S-B5554 to S-B5557.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Alpha-numeric designations

Other codes: Textual records: old guide GR 542 (R-1448)

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres