Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- RCAF City of Regina Wing
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Air Force Association of Canada was founded on 21 May 1948 to provide civilian community support to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and to serve as a network for ex-airmen who had returned to civilian life. Branches or "wings" were formed in many cities across Canada. Initially, the association drew its membership from all ranks of the RCAF, and concentrated on military-based aviation initiatives. The association was re-organized in 1972 to include members of the civilian aviation community. Its activities focused on supporting aviation in Canada, preserving the traditions of the RCAF, working with air cadets, improving living conditions for servicemen, cooperating with other veterans associations, and promoting community-based service. Members have been active in other activities including the National Executive of the Association and the RCAF Benevolent Fund.
No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing received its charter on 5 January 1949. The Association's membership includes veterans of numerous squadrons such as No. 162 BR (Flying Boat) Squadron, which flew consolidated Cansos during the Second World War. As of July 1998, the Association had 103 members. The Association is closely affiliated with the 600 RCAF Veterans Association, which provides assistance to needy air force veterans and works to preserve air force history.