Series S 81 - Administrative and Operational Records of the Chairman of the Saskatchewan Liquor Board series

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Administrative and Operational Records of the Chairman of the Saskatchewan Liquor Board series

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Series

Reference code

S 81

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1924 - 1974 (Creation)
    Creation
    Saskatchewan Liquor Board

Physical description area

Physical description

5.140 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1925-1993)

Administrative history

The Saskatchewan Liquor Board was established in accordance with The Liquor Act, 1925, on January 16, 1925. As legislated by the Act, the Board was comprised of one to three members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor. From the members, a chairman was designated to oversee the administration and daily operation of the Board in the distribution, permission for use, control and sales of liquor in Saskatchewan. Senior personnel reporting to the chairman included the chief inspector, chief accountant and warehouse manager. The head office and warehouse for the Saskatchewan Liquor Board was located in Regina.

On April 16, 1925, the Board opened eleven liquor stores that sold spirits, beer and wine. Additional liquor stores, as well as those only selling beer, were opened in communities throughout Saskatchewan after the Board served notice of intention to establish in accordance with the Act. The sale of wine at beer stores was added in 1932. Beer and wine stores ceased operation in 1959 and were either converted to full liquor stores or closed. The Board also administered permits for the use of liquor at banquets and special occasions, in special quantities, and by medical, dental and veterinary professionals in their practices.

In adherence to Section 14 of the Act, the Board established and oversaw a system of numbered districts in the province to administer the Act. Residents of age in each district were given the opportunity to petition for or against the establishment of liquor or beer and wine stores in their district. Subsequently, a vote on the issue was held if the required number of eligible voters had signed the petition. Further opportunities for petition and vote came in 1935 when an amendment to the Act provided for the issuance of licenses for beer to be sold by the glass in licensed men's parlours. Residents also petitioned for the cancellation of previously-issued licences to sell liquor.

The economic downturn in the 1930s followed by restrictive measures throughout the Second World War resulted in the closure of numerous liquor stores and beer and wine stores. As well, measures such as reduced store hours and the Purchase Card and Beer Coupon initiatives addressed the Board's need to control liquor supply during the war years. After the war ended, stores reopened and restrictive measures were lifted by the end of 1947.

In 1950, new Board policy allowed for store premises to be owned by the Board. Previously, the Board only operated in premises that it leased. By 1953, over half of the liquor stores operating in the province were owned by the Board. In 1959, The Liquor Licensing Act (S.S. 1959, c. 19) was enacted, thus removing from the Board the responsibility for the issue and control of liquor licences. The Saskatchewan Liquor Licensing Commission, while a separate administrative body, continued to operate within the Board's organizational structure. In 1965, an amendment to The Liquor Act (R.S.S. 1965, c. 382) provided for the establishment of special liquor vendors (later more commonly referred to as franchises). This allowed for liquor to be sold by the bottle at licensed facilities other than Board-operated liquor stores, yet still be distributed and controlled by the Board.

From 1982 to 1989, the Board's organizational structure included a chairman, but also a general manager to oversee the its administration and daily operations. On January 2, 1989, The Liquor Act and The Liquor Licensing Act were repealed and replaced with The Alcohol Control Act (S.S. 1988-89, c. A-18.01). As part of the new Act, one individual holding the title of chairman and chief executive officer was appointed to oversee the administration and operation of the Board, thus eliminating the general manager position. As well, changes to the Act's regulations allowed for additional liquor franchises in rural Saskatchewan, replacing larger Board stores with more cost-effective franchises.

The Saskatchewan Liquor Board ceased existence on July 1, 1993 when it amalgamated with the Saskatchewan Liquor Licensing Commission and the Saskatchewan Gaming Commission to form the Saskatchewan Liquor and Gaming Authority.

Custodial history

The Saskatchewan Liquor Board transferred some of these records to the Saskatoon office, Saskatchewan Archives Board in four accessions between 1946 and 1950: P 23 (April 26, 1946); P 53 (January 30, 1948); P 74 (February 22, 1949); and P 104 (March 17, 1950).

The Saskatchewan Liquor Board transferred some of these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives Board in one accession in 1980: R1980-657 (January 17, 1980).

Scope and content

This series consists of administrative and operational records created, accumulated and used by the Chairman of the Saskatchewan Liquor Board from its inception in 1925 to 1974. Also included in the series are petitions from residents of various communities throughout Saskatchewan on issues relating to the legalization of liquor licensing, as well as correspondence to the Chairman, organized by the numbered district system used by the Board.

No sub-series have been identified in this series.

The types of records in this series include: correspondence; petitions; voter's lists; acts and legislation; financial records; vouchers; samples of forms; and newspaper clippings.

Notes area

Physical condition

Records are in fair physical condition.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

The factors determining the arrangement of records were not documented in the original description process.

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records are subject to access restrictions. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication and/or reproduction are subject to Crown Copyright. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

Finding aids

SAFA 674 (old guide GS 59) consists of a government series description and file listings.

Associated materials

GS 55 (EC 3) - Records of Executive Council: Includes liquor vote forms and files, 1908-1957.

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

General note

To consult the records, visit or contact the Regina office.

Conservation

Conservation practices in place at the time of processing were applied to certain records in this series.

Location note

Location for retrieval: Regina - Hillsdale.

Alpha-numeric designations

Other codes: Textual: R-518; R-1068 (old guide GS 59)

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres