Fonds FD01 - Abernethy Presbytery fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Abernethy Presbytery fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Previously identified as Abernethy Presbytery sub-series (A.381.XI.D.1).

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

FD01

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1953–1956 (Creation)
    Creation
    United Church of Canada Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery
    Place
    Abernethy (Sask.)
  • 1925 – 1953 (Creation)
    Creation
    United Church of Canada Abernethy Presbytery
    Place
    Abernethy (Sask.)
  • 1922–1925 (Creation)
    Creation
    Presbyterian Church in Canada Abernethy Presbytery
    Place
    Abernethy (Sask.)
    Note
    Records pre-date the United Church of Canada (1925)

Physical description area

Physical description

13.5 cm (approx.) textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(ca.1908–1925)

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1925–1953)

Administrative history

Abernethy Presbytery was one of the original 16 presbyteries established by the first General Council of the United Church of Canada (June 1925), to be part of the new Saskatchewan Conference. Initial boundaries were based on the previous Abernethy Presbytery, which had been part of the Presbyterian Synod of Saskatchewan.

In 1953, the pastoral charges in Abernethy Presbytery were divided and moved to other presbyteries: Nokomis Pastoral Charge was added to Saskatoon Presbytery; other charges located west of Highway 35 were reassigned to Regina Presbytery; and the charges east of Highway 35 were moved to Yorkton Presbytery, which was re-named Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery.

Name of creator

(1953–1956)

Administrative history

Abernethy-Yorkton Presbytery was created in 1953, through the merging of Yorkton Presbytery and part of Abernethy Presbytery (east of Highway 35). In 1956, Abernethy-Yorkton amalgamated with Kamsack Presbytery and the resulting body returned to the earlier name, Yorkton Presbytery.

Custodial history

Most records in the fonds were likely transferred to the archives between 1925 and 1986. Their original provenance is unclear, though administrative and committee records may have come directly from presbytery secretaries, committee members, delegates or other associated individuals.

From 1925 through to 1982, the official repository for Conference, Presbytery and local records of the United Church in Saskatchewan was at St. Andrew’s College (Saskatoon). In 1982, the Conference signed an agreement to house their records with the Saskatchewan Archives Board (later Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan), while still retaining ownership and management responsibilities. The collections were gradually relocated and continue to be stored with the Provincial Archives, to the present day.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of textual materials generated by the Presbytery, its secretaries, committees and related bodies, in fulfillment of their responsibilities, as outlined in the Manual of the United Church of Canada.

Contents include meeting minutes (1922-1953), correspondence and a history of the presbytery, as well as documents relating to the Abernethy West End Ministerial Association.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Original order for many of these records is unclear. Items formerly listed under A.381.XI.D(1), were arranged sometime before 1990.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Microfilm copy of some records available for viewing at the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan, Regina office (microfilm reference number R.10).

Restrictions on access

Some records may be restricted, to protect personal information.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication, and/or reproduction of records are subject to the conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult archivist for assistance.

Finding aids

GS-168 includes original file and series listings, in section XI.D(1). Microfilm contents listed in finding aid IR-12.

Associated materials

Digital copies of select documents are also held by the National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation (NCTR), in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Accession area