Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Multiple media
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1934-2015, predominant 1945-1980 (Creation)
- Davey, Alfred William, 1907-1986
Physical description area
0.216 m of textual records
68 photographs : prints, b&w, col. ; 20 x 25 cm or smaller
11 photographs : negatives, b&w, col. ; 120
1 drawing : pen and ink ; 16 x 19 cm
3 maps : col. ; 91 x 61 cm or smaller
2 objects : banner, crest
73 computer files (46.600 MB) : .jpg
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Alfred William Davey was born in Countesthorpe, England on March 9, 1907 to Frederick William and Ethel May (Marriott) Davey. He received his early education at Burnham Westgate Boys School in Burnham Market, Norfolk, England where his father was an art instructor. In 1920, he emigrated to Canada with his father and brother and eventually settled in the Birmingham, Saskatchewan district near Melville. His mother and other siblings arrived several months later. Between 1922 and 1925, the family resided in the Semans and Grasswood districts to allow Frederick Davey to teach for the local school districts. By 1925, the family had relocated to the Nutana neighbourhood of Saskatoon. Alfred Davey worked as a gardener and labourer, and in May, 1927 was hired to fill the position of gardener at the University of Saskatchewan made vacant by the death of his father. Alfred Davey also studied art at the University of Saskatchewan under Augustus "Gus" Kenderdine. Additionally, he studied art at the Winnipeg School of Art and the Saskatoon Technical School.
In 1942, Davey relocated to Regina and was employed by Regina Industries Ltd. as a draftsman designing tools and illustrating manuals for the British Admiralty during the Second World War. After the war, he was hired by the Government of Saskatchewan as a clerk, draftsman and illustrator with the Department of Co-operation and Co-operative Development. In 1951, he was reclassified as a commercial artist with the Bureau of Publications, and in 1958 was appointed commercial art director for the Department of Travel and Information (later the Department of Industry and Information). In his employment with the Government, Davey was responsible for designing and illustrating works for inclusion in publications, brochures, and ephemera and on maps and illuminated scrolls, and for creating emblems used for the province's golden and diamond jubilees, as well as for the Canada centennial celebration. Davey retired from the Government on July 1, 1964.
While employed with the Government and after his retirement, Davey maintained work as a freelance artist and art instructor. His artistic works appear in the permanent collections of the Saskatchewan Arts Board, the University of Regina, the Government of Saskatchewan, and the University of Manitoba, among others. He was the founding director of the Exhibition of Saskatchewan Civil Servants' Art, was a founding member of the Western Canada Art Circuit, and a former president of the Federation of Canadian Artists, Regina Branch. His drawings and paintings in oil, watercolour and acrylic were shown in exhibitions throughout Saskatchewan, Canada, and the northern United States. He was employed as an art instructor for the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Collegiate Board, University of Regina Department of Extension, Coteau Range Community College and the Regina Plains Community College.
Davey continued to reside in Regina until his death on February 28, 1986. He is interred at Riverside Memorial Park Cemetery in Regina.
Scope and content
This fonds consists of records created, accumulated and used by A.W. Davey as a civil servant with the Government of Saskatchewan and as a freelance visual artist in Regina, Saskatchewan. Included are examples of his artistic works that were published in various Government of Saskatchewan publications, brochures, programmes and ephemera and on maps and illuminated scrolls. Davey's logo designs for the Saskatchewan Golden Jubilee Committee (1955) and the Saskatchewan Diamond Jubilee and Canada Centennial Corporation (1965) also comprise part of the records. A small volume of records of Davey's years as an art student, and his work as an art instructor and artist are included in the fonds.
Additionally, a small volume of records was created and accumulated by A.W Davey's son, Keith Davey. It includes biographical notes on A.W. Davey, information relating to the sale of an Historic Saskatchewan map, and correspondence of the commercial use of A.W. Davey's works posthumously.
The types of records included are: reproduced drawings; publications; brochures; programmes; correspondence; ephemera; photographs; maps; and an original drawing. Electronic records consist of photographs of Davey and a sample of his works.
No series have been identified in this fonds.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication and/or reproduction are subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act and of the donor's Agreement to Transfer. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
Certain records are subject to terms and conditions of Crown Copyright. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
Two prints created by A.W.Davey are included in the Dr. John Archer Material (2007-18) held in the permanent collection of the University of Regina Archives and Special Collections.
Government publications are also available in the permanent collection of the Saskatchewan Legislative Library.
Maps: CM-142 to CM-144
Photographs: GM-PH-3228 (1)-(43)
Location for retrieval: Regina - Hillsdale
Electronic records are available in digital storage.